When can I apply for a partner visa?

About this insight

Immigration Law

Get in touch

Our experienced team is ready to guide you through the legal process. Contact us for a free consultation.

If you are in a committed relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible to apply for a partner visa. To be eligible, you and your partner must meet certain criteria, including being in a genuine and ongoing relationship, not being related by family, and meeting health and character requirements.

You can apply for a partner visa while you are in or outside of Australia, but the application process can be complex and time-consuming. It involves providing evidence of your relationship, such as joint financial and household arrangements, and may require an interview with a Department of Home Affairs officer.

There are both temporary and permanent partner visas. The temporary visa allows you to live and work in Australia while your permanent visa application is being processed.

To apply for a partner visa, you must first be sponsored by your partner. If your partner is not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, they must first apply for sponsorship and be approved before you can apply for the partner visa.

Geelong Legal can assist you with all aspects of the partner visa application process. Our Geelong immigration lawyers help you determine your eligibility, prepare and submit your application, and represent you in any appeals or reviews.

Related insights